How to enter
Winners will achieve the highest combined ranking from our two voting methods. Equal weighting will be applied to the rankings decided by the Intelligent Instructor Awards independent judging panel and also by the voting public. The public will be encouraged to vote by a sustained Intelligent Instructor marketing campaign, whilst those shortlisted will undoubtedly encourage their respective audiences to participate too via the Intelligent Instructor Awards portal.
The Driving Instructor of the Year will be judged slightly differently. FirstCar’s 1m new driver audience will be canvassed and encouraged to nominate their chosen instructor by completing an online entry form. 12 regional driving instructor shortlists will be drawn up, from which the Intelligent Instructor Awards judging panel will choose 12 regional winners. One of these regional winners will be crowned the Intelligent Instructor Driving Instructor of the Year 2021.
- Insurer of the Year – Customer service, speed of dealing with complaints, replacement car offered, ratings, reviews, price competitiveness, customer retention – all will be considered important factors when assessing entries
- Product of the Year sponsored by Kwik Fit & Michelin – Could be an innovative piece of technology, software or an in-car product which help ADIs improve the learning to drive experience, keeping learners safe or encouraging better driving. The product could be high-tech or simple, but ingenious. From dash cams to sat navs, from apps to learning aids. Aimed at learners or ADI, or both! It could be well established and have developed to adapt to the market over the past 12 months or it could be a new launch.
- Professional Support Provider of the Year sponsored by ADINJC – Open to companies providing essential support services for ADIs to help them improve their efficiency and effectiveness. Training, accountancy, diary management, finance, legal advice, payment solutions, taxation, telephony, etc.
- Car Supplier of the Year – Open to those companies who lease, hire or sell cars to ADIs. Demonstrating excellent customer service, retention levels and a wide range of cars on offer at affordable prices with flexible payment terms.
- Driving Instructor Car of the Year – ADIs expect a lot of their cars. As well as being ideal learning environments for their students, a driving instructor’s car must often double as a practical everyday drive. The car will need to be reliable, safe, easy to drive, affordable to run and easy to live with. Our expert road test editors will create this shortlist.
- Local Driving Instructor Association of the Year sponsored by ADINJC – Open to any local association who is doing great work in their region to help connect instructors and to share knowledge, encouraging collaboration and to help spark debate, whilst creating a community feel and valuable support.
- Regional Driving School of the Year – Recognising successful schools which actively support both their pupils and their instructors, demonstrating excellent teaching for their students and support career development for their teams. You will not operate nationally but in one or more specific geographical areas. We’re looking for excellent customer service, innovative and effective instruction, a commitment to road safety, strong business development and support for your instructor network.
- National Driving School of the Year – Recognising successful schools which actively support both their pupils and their instructors, demonstrating excellent teaching for their students and support career development for their team. You will operate nationally. We’re looking for schools who have excellent customer service, innovative and effective instruction, a commitment to road safety, strong business development and support for instructors.
- Driving Instructor of the Year sponsored by Kwik Fit & Michelin – We are looking for Britain’s best driving instructor. We will be asking the FirstCar young driver audience to nominate their instructors if they think you’re worthy. We’re looking for a pupil-centred approach, innovative teaching methods, a commitment to road safety and a high level of student satisfaction. We are looking for 12 individual regional winners, from which we will select the overall ‘Driving Instructor of the Year’.
- Services to the Driver Training Industry Award sponsored by Pertemps Driver Training – Who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help the ADI industry reach new standards? Who has worked tirelessly, unselfishly, often gone unnoticed in their work? What does it take to make a real difference in this industry? Commitment, leadership, skill, personality, empathy… the vision to make a difference … an unnerving desire to positively influence when others may throw in the towel. Do you know someone who has achieved great success and inspired others to join in creating that success? Tell us why you believe this person is worthy of winning the Services to Driver Training Industry Award.
Driving Instructor of the Year 2021!
There 12 regional awards up for grabs, with one being crowned the overall Driving Instructor of the Year 2021. As we know Driving Instructors are very humble, this year we are asking the pupils to nominate their instructor. Therefore, we would ask that you encourage your pupils to spend a few minutes submitting a nomination.
All categories except for the Car of the Year and Driving Instructor of the Year will be judged by our expert judging panel.
- Carly Brookfield – CEO, DIA
- Adrianne Carter – Owner, The Face Whisperer
- David Crundall – Professor of Psychology, Nottingham Trent University
- Andrew Drewary – Road Risk Consultant, Road Safety Smart
- Chris Lewis – Development and Policy Lead Police and Crime Commissioner, Warwickshire
- Peter Harvey MBE – National Chairman, MSA
- Emma Kelly – Development, PR and Advocacy Manager, Road Safety Support
- Phillipa Young – Chair, Road Safety GB
• 4pm 15 January 2021 – entries close
• w/c 18 January 2021 – shortlist announced, public voting opens
• 21 February 2021 – voting closes
• 7 March 2021 – Intelligent Instructor Awards ceremony broadcast