Changes to the Highway Code
DVSA announces code changes and new app
From the DVSA:
Changes to the Highway Code: rules on using motorways
As a trainer or instructor, we know you’re well aware of the need to stay up to date with the Highway Code.
From today there are changes to the rules on using motorways, so it’s as important as ever that you and your pupils “check the Code” – and continue to do so on a regular basis.
Most recent changes
The changes made as of today refer to guidance on smart motorways. A total of 33 existing rules will be amended and two new rules introduced, with a number of amendments made to the additional information annexes.
- clearer advice on where to stop in an emergency
- the importance of not driving in a lane closed by a Red X
- the use of variable speed limits to manage congestion
- updated guidance on key factors that contribute to safety-related incidents, including unroadworthy vehicles, tailgating and driving in roadworks
How to stay updated
The Highway Code on GOV.UK allows you to:
- search for key words and phrases within The Highway Code
- quickly move between related rules
- follow links to the original laws that the rules are based on
- print sections more easily
There’s also an official Highway Code app.
Help spread the word
We’ll post on social media about the most recent changes to the code. Follow The Official Highway Code on Facebook to see our latest posts and share them with your pupils.
Future changes and print editions
Over the coming months we anticipate some further changes to the Highway Code; we will keep you informed of these by email, on GOV.UK and on social media.
We will write to you again with further details about the next, new printed edition of The Official Highway Code in 2022.
Thank you for your support,
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency