Driver ‘should be dead’ after air freshener causes car explosion
A driver who blew up his car by lighting a cigarette after spraying air freshener says, “I should be dead”.
Carl Fisher suffered burns to his face and arms after an explosion inside his car blew out his windscreen and caused damage to the windows of nearby businesses.
Fisher was said to have sprayed “excessive” amounts of air freshener in his car just minutes before he lit a cigarette in Halifax town centre.
Having not properly ventilated his car, the fumes ignited.
“I was literally driving around in a primed bomb,” Fisher said, “I didn’t have a clue.”
Now recovering from his injuries at home, Fisher is expected to make a full recovery.
“I’m incredibly lucky to be here,” he told The Sun. “Seeing the damage to my car, I can’t believe I managed to get out alive.”
Police have warned motorists to follow the guidelines on aerosol cans, keeping them away from naked flames to avoid explosions.
Fire investigation officer John Cavalier advised: “When using aerosols please keep in mind a large content is often LPG gas, which is explosive.
“Don’t be complacent when using any aerosol products. Use them in well-ventilated areas and read the instructions thoroughly before use.”
Fisher has also issued a warning to other drivers, urging people not to smoke if using aerosols in their car.
“I have no idea how or why I was so lucky,” Fisher says. “It’s a miracle before Christmas.”
For more news from the RAC check out the website