Theoretical Change in Practice
DVSA announces a change of theory test providers
Changes have been announced by the DVSA as to who runs Theory Testing and where candidates will be taking tests.
Currently the theory test service in Great Britain is delivered by one company – Pearson Vue. This includes:
- the day-to-day management of each of the test centres, such as the computers and the staff
- the online booking system
- customer service team
However, from September 2021 the way DVSA delivers theory tests is changing. The changes will not affect the typical candidate experience or the content of the test. But the experience may look and feel slightly different.
As part of the new arrangements, the tests will be provided by two companies. Pearson VUE continue to control some areas, while Reed in Partnership Ltd will provide the day-to-day delivery of theory tests in others. The delivery will be separated into three geographical regions:
- Region A – Reed In Partnership Ltd Covering: Scotland, Northern Ireland, North West, North East and Yorkshire and Humber
- Region B – Pearson Vue Covering: Wales, West Midlands, South West and South East
- Region C – Reed In Partnership Ltd Covering: East Midlands, East of England and London
Centres & Locations
Because the contract to operate the theory test centres has been awarded to more than one company, the location of many theory test centres will change.
With plans still being finalised, the DVSA will update the information and advice as they develop.